How can my department recycle e-waste?
- For smaller electronics, please see our electronics page here.
- For large supplies of department electronic waste, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- For personal e-waste, we encourage you to check your local municipalities website or take your e-waste to Best Buy (or other vendors), especially for bigger items such as televisions. You can find your closest drop-off location at earth911.com.
How can my department decrease waste generated at events?
Planning and executing events can often lead to the generation of waste if not carefully thought through. Consider these tips when planning your next department event:
- Request reusable dish-ware when placing your catering order instead of disposables. You can also request local and LaFarm ingredients to be used in your menu.
- For beverages, request carafes and coolers instead of single-use beverage containers.
- Order the right amount of food for your expected attendees. Discuss with catering directly to find out how much food you need (email@example.com).
- Ensure you have proper trash and recycling bins and signage. If you are placing a work order, be specific to include this information.
- Consider offering composting at your event. Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
- Limit the amount of disposable or single-use giveaways. For example, instead of handing out pamphlets in a branded plastic bag, consider ordering reusable bags that the attendee can use after the event (and continue sporting your branding!). We recommend using Eco Promotions to order your giveaways.
For any questions or to request a consultation on sustainable events from the Office of Sustainability, reach out to email@example.com.
How can my department recycle hazardous, chemical, biological, and infectious wastes?
- The management of these waste streams is conducted through Environmental Health and Safety.
- For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
How can my department recycle ink cartridges?
- Lafayette College recycles ink cartridges through our partnership with WB Mason. Simply follow the steps below:
- Put used ink cartridges (any brand is fine) into an empty cardboard box
- When the box is full, seal and label it “Recycled Toners/Ink”
- When a WB Mason driver makes a delivery, ask them to take the box and they will return it to the facility for recycling.
- For more information, contact email@example.com or view the Lafayette ink cartridge infographic
How can my department recycle K-Cups?
- While the program has officially ended, Keurig is still accepting prepaid boxes from their former recycling program. The Office of Sustainability has a limited supply of these boxes. While supplies last, email firstname.lastname@example.org to get one for your department.
- K-Cups can now be recycled in normal recycling streams if emptied and cleaned.
How can my department participate in the Sustainable Office Program?
Lafayette’s Sustainable Office Program helps departments and offices at Lafayette measure the impact of their office operations and provide recommendations to improve year-over-year. Offices will receive a certification for their participation and have the opportunity to recertify as improvements are implemented.
Click here to learn more about creating a greener workspace with the Sustainable Office Program.